BiH - border crossing
05/19/2026
19:51

GRADIŠKA, MAY 19 /SRNA/ – The Minister of Finance and Treasury in the Council of Ministers, Srđan Amidžić, has said tonight that the opening of the new border crossing in Gradiška sends a political message that Republika Srpska will not back down when it is right.
"We were blackmailed by those in the FBiH who thought that blocking the crossing was a form of coexistence in BiH. However, we insisted on what we believed is life and on things that cannot be abandoned," Amidžić told the press at the new border crossing after its opening.
He emphasized that this border crossing will be used by everyone living in Republika Srpska and the FBiH.
"This is the result of the work of people in the Indirect Taxation Authority of BiH, and special thanks go to the Deputy Minister of Security Ivica Bošnjak and the Chairwoman of the Council of Ministers, Borjana Krišto," Amidžić said.
The new Gradiška border crossing with Croatia began operating tonight, with the first vehicles already crossing the border.
The Ministry of Security of BiH earlier today issued a decision to redirect traffic to the new bridge in Gradiška.
The Ministry stated that the new bridge will be used during the suspension of traffic at the existing Gradiška border crossing, which occurred last night due to the collapse of part of the protective fence and pedestrian walkway on the old bridge over the Sava River.
The newly built border crossing and bridge, connecting BiH with the EU /Croatia/ on the country’s busiest route, worth EUR 100 million, had been ready for use since December last year. However, Zijad Krnjić repeatedly prevented its opening, allegedly for political reasons.
Krnjić’s blockade reportedly caused significant economic losses for Republika Srpska and BiH, as passengers and freight traffic were forced to use the already overloaded old crossing.