Serbia - infrastructure
08/21/2026
10:34

BELGRADE, AUGUST 21 /SRNA/ - Serbia’s President Aleksandar Vučić visited the construction site of the Kuzmin-Sremska Rača motorway today, stressing its importance as it will connect Belgrade with Sarajevo, as well as with Bijeljina, the second-largest city in Republika Srpska.
The contractor informed the Serbia’s President on the occasion that the section is expected to be opened to traffic on October 15.
Vučić stressed that Serbia is also largely financing the works on the territory of Republika Srpska and that the route from Bijeljina should continue towards Brčko and then on to Modriča and Banja Luka.
"Republika Srpska has completed the section to Doboj, while several more sections remain to be built. It is very important that we connect with the second-largest city in Republika Srpska. It is incredible that we will be able to reach Bijeljina in one hour and 15 minutes. These roads do not only connect cities; they connect people and bring business," Vučić said.
Vučić noted that there had been efforts to obstruct the construction of bridges over the Drina River as far back as the time of Benjamin Kallay, which is the practice that continued during the period of Yugoslavia. He said that everything has now changed and that infrastructure is being intensively renovated and developed.
He stressed that, for the future, it is important to build a road further south towards Tuzla and Sarajevo as well, but that Sarajevo has so far shown no interest.
Construction of the Sremska Rača-Kuzmin motorway section, including a new bridge over the Sava River, is in its final phase.
The section is approximately 18 kilometres long and is part of the E-761 Belgrade-Sarajevo motorway project, which will further improve transport connectivity between Serbia and BiH.



