World

BALDE: EPIDEMIC CAN BE STOPPED

WHO - Congo - virus

SOURCE: Reuters

08/18/2026

12:07

BALDE: EPIDEMIC CAN BE STOPPED

GENEVA, AUGUST 18 /SRNA-Reuters/ - The Ebola epidemic in Congo can be stopped provided that health services have the right resources, said Dr. Thierno Balde, the World Health Organization's /WHO/ emergencies manager.

"When it comes to the plan for the next three months, yes, if you have the necessary resources, I think it will be possible to achieve it," Balde told reporters by video link from Bunia, Congo.

The WHO had previously said that a turnaround in the spread of Ebola would be possible within three months, but since then there have been signs that the situation has worsened, as the disease has spread to a sixth province.

According to the latest official figures, the disease has claimed 2,325 lives and the infection has been confirmed in 4,945 people, making this the largest and deadliest epidemic ever in Congo.